About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Rhyming Poems from November

Hairy Dog
Ronnie B.

What a hairy dog so hairy you can see.
What kind of dog can it really be?

I can see that dog is really scary.
I’ll cut off his hair, do you dare me?

His name is Jay, Jay I shall say.
But when I tried to cut his hair
he chased me away.

I ran into the house and went to bed.
When I got up I felt dog hair on my head.

Now I don’t like the dog,
so I played on the log.


The Moon
Ebene A.

Soon the moon will rise above.
Soon you can see it.

Soon you will be amazed.
As the moon rises the time
goes by.

Your mom will say go to
bed and good night.

When you hop in bed say
goodnight to the soon moon.

Soon the moon will watch you
as you sleep.

My Dog
Kierra R.

He is a funny dog
He likes his hog

But he doesn’t like his frog
He likes to “gawg”

He doesn’t like his pet toy called “dog.”
When you take away his frog he “gawgs.”

When you take his hog he takes his dog.
He plays a lot with his frog.

He takes his frog while he “gawgs.”
He doesn’t play a lot with his hog.


Unknown
Virshauna B.

1. The globe is blue
just like you

2. Math is hard
just like cards

3. The flag is red
I wanna go to bed

4. Homework is boring
just like snoring

5. The sun is yellow
Hello my fellow

6. The grass is green
I like beans

7. Chalk is white
fly your kite

8. The door is brown
Don’t look down


The Flag
Kayla A.

The flag has stars
Just like Mars

It’s red, white, and blue
It felt just like you

Blows in the air
When parents had an affair


untitled
Araceli C.

From the sky
came a cry

from a fly
inside of the sky

was a fly
who wanted to try
to fly


untitled
Cleophus J.

One day I went out to play.
Me and my friends went to the park
but someone farted.

I went on the monkey bars
with a red car.

My friends went home,
I was alone.

I went in, but I saw
some fins.

I awoke, it was just a dream,
but I smelled beans.

No comments: