About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spells

The students read the "bubble bubble toil and trouble" witches' section from Macbeth and wrote their own spells.

Mrs. Van Zytveld's class, 4th grade

Report Card
Carlos D.

Once my parents told me if I ever get
a bad report card I will have no birthday
party so one day I went into my closet
and said “Remix! Throw some As on dat!”
I just got my report card…

My Spell
Cassie R.

A frog of the color of white…
Mixed in poison inside a cauldron.
With a mouth of silence…
& an ear of no fear.
A drop of time & an ice cream
bar. What does this all equal?
To stop time, make everyone freeze
(except me) & hear no one or nothing
except the TV.

Spell to Get Rid of Homework
Sam S.

“Flashcards in, journal in, but all that will be left
is the encyclopedia. Next the words, here they
come O mighty homework vacuum for
the poor kids being tortured with homework having
no video games is like being tortured with boredom:
RISE RISE RISE and break this
horrible curse!!!”

Spell
Kyra C.

Take this girl from a serving bench
and turn her to a serving wench
Every girl in this room
must speak their mind
Give me a dragon ear
so I can hear and hear
“onomatopoeia”
I have honey
with my money.


Mrs. Garay's class, 4th grade


I Wish
Frederick T.

No more teachers alive
No homework and only kids
No parents
First, do the spell
I need four virgin hearts
and a box of Luck Charms

Spell
Idalia H.

round and round
you’ll see a blur
to make this person disappear

double, double chicken trumble
make this chicken have a bubble

prid and pride
have a soda make it come
right through the person if you
say their name from time to time
they’ll be blind

double, double chicken trumble
make this chicken have a bubble

Frankenstone
Jaques C.

Put it on the casket
boil and groil
flame my creation flame

Flame, man, flame
I have to give you a name

Now lift it up
Let me see
Our creation is finished
Let’s make three

Flame, man, flame
I have a cool name

Spell
Ashley H.

You will see stuff go round and round
then after that you will fall to the ground.

You will be hexed
for the rest of your life,
then after that,
something will happen to your wife.

I will need
a snake’s head
a part of your bed
a fish’s eye

and then a fly.
You will be hexed
for the rest of your life,
then after that,
something will happen to your wife.

Summer Come Everly
Jordan A.

Get the fiery pot of doom
throw in a flower that never bloomed
dump half a cup of socks that have mold
with a half-eaten sandwich that old
because it was sitting out for forty days
it smelled like going through a maze

Then I would say “loopy Suppy
Sunny bunny”

The put one beam of light
and it was bright
Add a bowl of water
my soul shook like Harry Potter
Add some toys and fun
A roller coaster
A nice warm day
A No School sign

Then I would say “loopy Suppy
Sunny bunny”

When I say “lunar”
Summer will come sooner.


Ms. Otero's class, 4th grade

Spell
Cristian B.

A star from the sky, a minotaur’s
horns, children’s sweat, dog’s breath,
monster’s blood, a girl’s hair,
a woman’s beard, a wolf’s howl.

Yell this chant to spawn a…

Spell
Jordan L.

Thou puppy shall not stop
peeing on your acefay. On thou
birthday you’ll get run over
by a rucktay. The ollercoasteray
will explode. Ouyay will have explosive
children. Everything you touch’ll turn
to skittles. Prilay oolfays!

My Magical Poem
Isabel H.

Pumpkin, pumpkin twist and turn
bake in an oven and then burn.

I found a pumpkin
in the yard I am
going to be powerful.
I did my spell
to become queen.

Pumpkin, pumpkin twist and turn
bake in an oven and then burn.

It turned out
I didn’t become powerful
I just became weaker
and lamer and sadder.

Spell
Sabrina V.

Put things above our pot
those things are goo or not.
Also put that near the cool stone
it helps the spell al go to one.

Wait here! Get the snake.
What? No? I have to wait?

Oh, the spell is ready now,
this will happen so be wowed.
You see you will be uncool
in case you want to be a fool.

Be gone see how you’ll be
not for us including me.

Now you’re missing? That’s not it!
You’re really supposed to include a mitt!
Oh, the snake?
I was really supposed to wait.

Now it’s gone
I’ll want now one…
Bye-bye
and enjoy the spell.

No comments: