About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Colors

The students read "Silver" by Walter de la Mare and had the choice of writing a poem suffused with a single color, or many colors. Here are some results:


Ms. Otero's Class

Animal Colors
Caitlin C-B.

As the animals wake under the golden sun
The rabbit’s fur is as white as snow.
Brown chipmunks scampering tree to tree
Collecting copper color acorns.
The chicks are waking up as well
And they look more yellowish than before.
The dog wakes up in his bright red doghouse
And he is as black as a dark shadow.
The cat wakes up in the big red barn
And she is as orange as sunset.


The Colorful Ocean
Ronnie B.

Going through the salty
ocean. Making a smooth
going motion. Gold and silver
make way. Thing that it does
you might not even say. The
fish is yellow and blue
looking like a blob of goo.
The whale is black as night,
as the ocean sways the light.


Green and Purple Make Blue
Matthew A.

When I see green it makes me
think of buying a big green fighting
machine.

When I see purple it makes
me think of a big jelly bean.

When I see green and purple
it makes me think of a garbage
can and it says “I love
honey”


What I See (Icy Blue)
Yaritza M.

In my house it’s nice and cold,
But my window is icy blue.

I look at my water and my shoe,
They are both icy blue.

Do my eyes deceive me,
Is icy blue all I see?

No, I can see red ‘n yellow
Also blue and green.

But under my bed,
There’s still a shade of icy blue.

When my eyes are closed—
Not again!

I see,
Icy Blue.

(note her pun: "Icy blue"="I see blue"!!!)

Mrs. Van Zytveld's Class
(many of her students LOVE to rhyme)

The Jungle
Madeline N.

The sky is as blue as the ocean
and the monkeys are as brown as a penny
and the Spider Monkey is as black as my binder
and the jaguar is as black as my car
The chameleon is as colorful as the whole world.


Baseball Game
Stephen T.

I am in the dugout chewing
red gum. It is my turn
now the bat is green, my
lucky bat.
The pitch comes. Swing miss.
Another pitch swing
and a miss the last pitch
swing a home run the blue
juice is all over coach’s
body now, we are going
to the playoffs.


Relaxing Beach
JaVonna C.

Splashing through the blue seas,
feeling the sun breeze,

laying back relaxing,
there’s no distracting;

moving my feet into the sand,
relax my eyes into the shade band;

looking at the beautiful world;
beaming and gleaming just like the beautiful twirls.

Forest Tree
Keven T.

I’m on a tree
with a blue green
sky the bug’s two feet
smell really sweet.
I climb lower to see
many big bees.
Yellow, black even blue
you could really get a good view.
The black monkeys the yellow vines,
there’re only nine.


Making Some Green
Kyle S.

You’re making green
while your boss is mean
and you’re filthy rich
even if you itch.
You go to work
and only get paid in silver.
You go to the bank
and change it into
gold and you go under
the ground to see more
gold and see some
brown.


Mrs. Garay's Class


My Bedroom
Guadalupe P.

The flag is a tag
with white stars.

Walls of pink—a color
just for me.

My bed is soft and purple,
purple shells with beautiful
Hannah Montanas.

Floor of golden brown wood.


Pink
Ashley H.

Pink is sweet.
Pink is pretty.
Pink is the color of my folder.
Pink is my favorite color.
Pink is pink.
Pink, I love.


The Jungle
Felicia K.

I see you
You see me

I see green on the tree
A monkey swings by with a blue eye

he says “hi”
I say “bye”

You see a green pond
I see blue

We are different colors
But we still think to

I’m seeing agree
But a blue

Is that you
Are you green

Or is it me
Could it be

I swing on a vine
While saying “hi”

I see an orange snake
Eating pink cake

I see green
You see blue

No comments: