About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dream Poems

Mrs. Garay's 4th grade class


Oranges
Virshauna B.

furry black and white heart-shaped
dog
beating Michael Jackson with a pipe

Reading a book backwards
eating bowls of sugar.

Elmo getting run over
by a truck
candy
red
truck


My Fantastic Dream
Jaques C.

I saw a dog
polka-dotted

He chased me
I ran to the lake

A shark jumps out
He bites me

A dream to a nightmare
A devil angel

I wake up before I die
I am late for school

I see an angel
Don’t go there again


Fruit Loops
Kayla A.

I see Fruit Loops
sitting on the table

No one is around
so I take them

I go to the room
of my own

I hear a knock
on my door

So I walk to the door
and open it

It is the FBI
wanting back the Fruit Loops

They said if I give
them back

I can get a billion dollars
and own a Fruit Loop company

Then the dream stops
and the alarm rings

I sink in the
bowl of milk



Ms. Otero's 4th grade class


My Bad Nightmare
Ronnie B.

I dreamed I saw three ghosts
growling in my face.

I had a dream that Freddy
Kruger slashed my eyeballs.

I had a dream that I was
swimming in the ocean with 100 sharks.

I had a dream that vampires
were about to get me.

I had a dream that I was
in the Michael Jackson video surrounded by zombies.

I had a dream I failed
the ISAT.


My Dreams
Destiny S.

In my dreams
I had a white puppy with a black
nose and a crown on her head.

I had a bed
made out of flowers.

I had a pretty
pink limo that takes
me anywhere.

I had a picture of
me on my ceiling.

I had a pretty
pink jungle.

I am a princess pear in
my pretty pink kingdom.


The Weird Dreams
Leo S.

In my dreams
I play like Tiger Woods.

I speak fluent Spanish
and am a soccer star.

I go and get a dog—
a husky dog.

I see robbers stealing
they steal kids like babies.

I see snow falling,
but it is money.

I see a hobo
carrying a million dollars.

I see a baby
and it throws up blood and dies.


Sleeping on the Cloud
Trenati B.

One dark scary night
owls were hooting

The wolves were in packs
howling at the moon

The trees bumped against
the girl’s window

Then, boom… Thunder
lit across the sky

Creeek went the door
of the girl’s house
The girl stumbled
getting up

Then feet sounded in the
next room

She jumped to her feet
and grabbed a gun

Then all of a sudden
the mysterious person jumped out

She shot the gun.
The person that was there…

the world will never
know.




Mrs. Van Zytveld's 4th grade class


My Best Dream Ever
Carlos D.

My best dream ever was when I imagined my self
on a clear road. I ran really fast, so fast that
I started to fly in the air. I was like a bird.
The neighborhood kids were all looking at me.
I was like the king of the streets. Once I was
so happy, but I was starting to slow down
and thirty seconds later I stopped. The weirdest
thing happened to me: I was just floating there
in the sky, it was like a bully hanging me up
from my shirt. Next thing you know, there was
an airplane coming my way. It was two feet away
from me, but then boom!!! my mom slammed the pot
on te stove to make breakfast.


Fashion Dream
JaVonna C.

Two big white lip glosses chasing my lips,
Changing long skirts all over my hips;
I’m getting so busy about to turn the page,
I can’t because I look like a blue wave;
I like the way they lined my nails,
I called the police and they all went to jail;
So happy about them leaving,
green, blue, pink and yellow mini skirts flying around me.


Greek Myths of Me in a Dream
Sam S.

In my dream I am sun god of the universe.
I control the planets, and I control
rotation of the planets. If I get mad
I set off a volcano; if I am happy,
I can make global warming stop.
It is fun controlling the universe.

No comments: